An introduction to IRC

Posted by Mr.Yeah! Mr.Yeah!
Options
Here's something to break the Game guides domination :)

What is IRC?

IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat, basically it allows you to join chatrooms to chat with people from around the world.
The IRC network is divided in servers, in which you find the chatrooms, called "channels", that you want to join.
For Urban Terror, the most used server is Quakenet, which was created for Quake 3 and is still used today. As an example, the official Urban Terror channel is #urbanterror , where the game devs are.

For the Sni:{Per}:Jum clan it's #sniperjum

Why does a clan need IRC?

On IRC you will find the channels of most of the Urban Terror clans, where you will be able to chat with them. There also is a service called Warbot, which makes it easier to find PCW/CW/scrims etc, and others to keep logs of everything that is said in the channel (Nordic Bots). It also is easier for players to find you if they urgently need an admin. And as opposed to TS3, you don't need to have a server so creating a channel is free, so you won't have the problem of a server being offline.

How do I use IRC?

To connect to the IRC network you can use an IRC client (such as IceChat or XChat for Windows/Linux and LimeChat or Colloquy for Mac) or Webchat (in your usual Internet browser). You can start the clients each time you boot your computer and leave them on, like TeamSpeak, I don't think it takes too much RAM.

On your first connection to the Quakenet server you will need to create an auth login(=register an account) to be recognized by Q, the godbot of Quakenet. To do this, you need to enter the following command (start every command with a /, like in the UrT console) in the message field (where you usually chat):

/msg Q HELLO youremail@address youremail@address (replace youremail@address by... your email address)

If the name you're using already exists, it will not work and you will have to choose a new one.
Once it's done you will have to check your mailbox and follow the link that has been sent to you to retrieve your password.
Then you will have to enter the command:

/msg Q@CServe.quakenet.org AUTH username password (the username is the one you used when you said HELLO to Q)

You may also want to choose a password that is easier to remember, type:

/msg Q@CServe.quakenet.org NEWPASS oldpassword newpassword newpassword (oldpassword is the password that you received in your email and newpassword the one you choose)

And that's it. If you don't remember who you are you can enter the command:

/msg Q whoami

And Q will tell you all the info on your account.

Your are now ready to use Quakenet, to join a channel just write /join #channel (replace #channel by the name of the channel you want, don't forget the #), to leave a channel write /part.

Why do I need an AUTH?

So that Q can recognize you and give you the right status everytime you join your channel. This way, people will know you are a :{Per}: member, admin, or friend of the clan when they join the channel. According to your status you can be Channel Operator, and your nickname will have an @ attached to it, or a Voiced User, and you will have a +. If the clan doesn't know you you will have nothing (sux4u).

Now everyone from the clan I need your auth username so that I or Vega can give you the proper level on #sniperjum

//-------This covers the basics, depending on the client/software you use, you will be able to auto-join multiple channels and auto-auth/login at each connection (maybe I'll add something about this and expand the guide later)-------//

11 Comments

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
Joke Joke
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  

Re: An introduction to IRC

Very nice guide a! Didn't know all that :O
Sounds great for the clan! We are moving forward haha
donna30 donna30
Reply | Threaded
|  

In reply to this post by Mr.Yeah!
Great guide :3
Vega Vega
Reply | Threaded
|  

Yea good and thanks for your help a.
I can add that @CServe.quakenet.org in the command for change password is not necessary (works without that with me).
Btw i have still to understand how works admin/level/op stuff
Mr.Yeah! Mr.Yeah!
Reply | Threaded
|  

This post was updated on .
Vega wrote
@CServe.quakenet.org in the command for change password is not necessary
It is recommended to use the full Q@CServe.quakenet.org ID to avoid sending your password to people who named themselves Q, but who are not Q (Q rarely goes offline for some reason, but it may happen). Actually, using the /msg command is for Private Messaging to a specific user, so basically all those commands are literally you 'talking' to Q. If you do not add @CServe.quakenet.org, the real Q will display the following message:

-Q- To prevent sensitive information being accidentally send to malicious users on other networks, when using the newpass command, you must use /msg Q@CServe.quakenet.org.

For you Vega, there's this:
https://www.quakenet.org/help/general/i-own-a-channel-what-are-my-responsibilities
https://www.quakenet.org/help/q-commands
https://www.quakenet.org/help/q-commands/chanflags
https://www.quakenet.org/help/q-commands/chanlev
http://project89.com/quakenet-commands-cheat-sheet-8/#channelcommands

LouK LouK
Reply | Threaded
|  

Hey Hey, thanks a lot a! I hope we start to use this stuff :D!

Im TheLouK btw
Vega Vega
Reply | Threaded
|  

Done
@a: yes seems that is possible to give +n to another user ;)

Joseph* Joseph*
Reply | Threaded
|  

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Mr.Yeah! Mr.Yeah!
Reply | Threaded
|  

lolno you don't have to close ts3, imo ts3 is useful for communication within the clan, e.g for strategies/organization during clanwars (unless you use... Skype?). And it may be easier for people who have ts3 to find you.

IRC to me is more for inter-clan/exterior communication, to schedule clanwars (warbot) or find help from people (you can chat with frozen sand devs on their channel). Or make it easier to reach you for people who don't have ts3/mic (i personnally find it easier to use, you can just follow a link https://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=#sniperjum without an auth)
Joseph* Joseph*
Reply | Threaded
|  

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Joke Joke
Reply | Threaded
|