Autobalance

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  

Autobalance

Buck
For the autobalance, it would be great if it took into account bots. If a new CTF game starts and it's 1 player and 4 bots on each team, you can let the opposite team gain a capture and just watch your own team fill up with human players until you're way overpowered.

Also, it would be nice if !bal was usable by normal players if the balance gap was too great - maybe 0.5 or more. When there's no Pers on, this can get frustrating and I've regularly seen entire teams just disconnecting. Sometimes including me.
:{Per}: Nightmare
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Autobalance

Nightmare
Recruiter
if we allow everybody to use !bal would result in a total disaster. whenever someone doesn t like the teams will abuse the !bal command. i belive this will be fixed in new mod
This is now your life, die buried alive!!!
:{Per}: Juriska
Reply | Threaded
|  

Juriska
In reply to this post by Buck
we got the "premium" players who can actually bal. These players are chosen by us. Usually, they are pretty active and we have a good relation with them.
But like nightmare said, it would  be a total mess if we allow every player to use !bal. And i m not sure it s possible to enable it only if the difference of power is more than an ammount
time is precious... waste it wisely
Reply | Threaded
|  

Buck
When there are no balance privileged players online, it can be a real pain.

But even when there _are_ balance privileged players on, it doesn't always help. Pyrrho keeps an eye on the teams and will use !paadvise and !bal when needed, which is great. But there are Per members who will never use !bal if they're on the winning team, no matter how great the inbalance. That may sound petty, but it really is true.

I don't see, though, how people being able to use !bal if the inbalance is beyond a certain point would become chaotic, since it could only be used at severe inbalance. Which would be chaotic already.
:{Per}: Juriska
Reply | Threaded
|  

Juriska
I dont think it s technically possible to change the lvl of a command under certain circumstances. For example : the !bal commands requires 5 power. What you want us to do is  to change that requirement ti 1 when the paadivse is greater than 50.
For more details Vega should answer but i think there are 2 problems. First i m not sure you xan change a command lvl midgame. I think it requires a b3 restaet or maybe server restart.
Secondly it may be difficult to make a programming relation between paadcise and balance lvl
time is precious... waste it wisely
Reply | Threaded
|  

Buck
Is the balancing done by another entity or script as the gunmod?

Can !bal be called by another script running on the server?
:{Per}: donna30
Reply | Threaded
|  

donna30
In reply to this post by Juriska
It would require a B3 restart
:{Per}: R3V1S0R
Reply | Threaded
|  

R3V1S0R
Anti-Cheat Staff
In reply to this post by Juriska
well, it is possible to implement two different commands with the same name, but for different levels (LouK did it once for tb if im not wrong (?))

That could possibly fix it.
I will think about it later...
Reply | Threaded
|  

Inyz
I think the !bal debate attracted the attention away from Buck's first point which is that the balancing algorithm is broken when it deals with bots. A recurrent scenario is that I make a very good score in FFA then the next map is CTF and the balancing algo decides to put me with 4 bots against 5 humans. HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSE TO PLAY CTF WITH BOTS AS TEAMMATES??? This happens so often! Sometimes it's 2 humans + 3 bots against 5 humans but in any case we're doomed.

Balance thinks that it can just trade bots with humans as if it was fair. The only time I were able to win an humans-unbalanced game was when I was playing with Pr3dator and AnonymousWithBeer (so we were 3 of the best players on GunMoney) against 5 or 6 humans being noob-to-medium players.

Bots are absolutely worthless in CTF.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Inyz
I know that a better balancing algorithm is in the todo list of Vega. In the meantime, here's a thought that I hope could contribute to help making a better algorithm.

Often, a FFA match is dominated by one or two very strong players, which I imagine are considered to be of very high skills once the game is over. When a CTF match starts, here's what the balancing algorithm usually does: it takes the very strong player(s) and put them in a team which is mainly made of bots, against all other human players. I guess that the sum of skills of other "low-skilled" humans equals the sum of skills of the "high-skilled" humans + bots.

However, this just doesn't work in practice, because CTF involves team-work. Well, without teamspeak team-work is limited but the basics is that there must be some players protecting your flag while some other players are going for the enemy's. Even without team-work, such dynamic naturally takes place in a well-balanced GunMoney CTF match. But as you can imagine, this is very hard for a team of 1 or 2 human to do so.

1 human is obviously impossible since you cannot be at two places at the same time (protecting your flag and going for the enemy's). 2 human is hardly doable. There will be 1 attacker and 1 defender. The denfender will have trouble keeping the flag against multiple players.

In brief:  the balancing algorithm in CTF seems to only take into account the amount of skills on both sides, some times resulting in teams of many noobs vs 1 or 2 very highly skilled players. However, as CTF requires team-work, there should be a limit as to the difference of the number of humans in both teams. 1 human cannot win against 5 humans, no matter how badass he is.
:{Per}: donna30
Reply | Threaded
|  

donna30
Maybe vega or someone else could code a plugin which equals the ratio of all players that the game should be even.