Open this post in threaded view
|  

Let's create an Assault map! =)

!TopFox
Mapping Staff
Scrim Staff
This post was updated on .
Hey!

We are improving our Assault server but there is a lack of maps! That's why I make this tuto, which will show you how to create an (awesome :D) Assault map. =)

What do you need?
- GTKradiant 1.6.4 installed (if you didn't do it yet check this post)
- The Assault folder
- Basical knowledge of GTKradiant (if you don't check this post)

What do we have in this folder? :D
One folder "q3ut4" with two other folders in it:
- maps: contain two maps with the sapwn_interchange; one with the voices, one without
- vitinsounds: contain all the voices

Preparation:

1) First of all copy the folder "vitinsound" and add it in the "q3ut4" of your "Mapping" folder.

2) Make a new folder with the name of your map in "Mapping/q3ut4/maps". I'll go for "assault_tuto"

3) Copy the spawn_interchange you want in this new folder. In this tuto, I'll take the one with the sounds =)

What is the spawn_interchange and what does it contain?

The spawn_interchange is the system that we use to make the teams spawn in diferent places for each checkpoint. In reality, you always spawn in the same place but you'll get teleported to the place where the mapper want you to spawn =)

Now let's see what it is made of (alwas from right to left)

This is the view you've of the XY axis

The four checkpoints
The four groups of spawn for the red
The four groups of spawn for the blue
The six real spawns for the red
The six reals spawns for the blue

How the hell does this spawn_interchange works?

The spawn_interchange as been made for 12 players: 6 reds and 6 blues. Each player has it own spawn which are in the yellow or in the green box. They spawns above a funnel and automatically fall on a trigger_teleport which will teleport them to the group of spawn (in red or in blue) of their team and of the current checkpoint. When a checkpoint is captured, it makes move all the funnel to
the right, or the left, or the front, depending on which checkpoint is captured. When a player respawn after a capture he will fall on another triggerteleport as the funnel has moved.

I hope I have been clear, anyway, do not hesitate to check everything on your spawn_interchange if you want to know exactly how it works, but the main idea is there.

If you choosed the spawn_interchange with the voices, you'll see that before falling on a trigger_teleport, the player will fall on a trigger_multiple, linked to a target_speaker. That's how you hear "Attach the fist checkpoint/Attaquez le premier point de passage" ingame =)

And what about the checkpoints?

This is the first checkpoint

The trigger: actives the diferent target_relays
It opens the next checkpoint
This one is really important, I'll talk about it later =)
This group makes the voice say "The red team control the first checkpoint/L'équipe rouge contrôle le premier point de passage"
This is the one who makes the funnels move
It closes the button

Ok, now create the map =)

I created a really simple and basic map as this is for a tuto but I let you make 10 times better =)

Now go back in the map with the Assault system, press "i" to select everything, copy it and add it in your map. We are gonna implant the assault system in your map: place the groups of spawn and the checkpoints. Do not forget which groups are for the red and and which are for the blue! Place the ones ofr the blue near the checkpoint and the ones for red.. well at the opposite =D

There is still problem: we need to protect the checkpoint, because you can allow his access only if the red have captured the first checkpoint. We are gonna add a wall with a func_door that will goes down when the first checkpoint get captured. you created it? great =)

Now let's link this door to the checkpoint with the first checkpoint. Everything is ready! Do you remember the the target_relay linked to nothing that I circled in blue? We are gonna link it with the door. Just set a "target" with the name you want and your func_door with the same name but with the value "targetname" that time.

There are a few other keys to set, you must know all of them but I give you a screenshot of what is necessary:

Do not forget to make a big cube over all your map and to add a "info_player_start". Make also a wall in your big cube to hide the spawn_interchanger, it's always good to keep the secret!

Prepare the .pk3

What you must add in it:
- A "maps" folder with your map in .bsp and the minimap in .tga, but we will make it later.
- Add the "vitinsounds" folder with all the voices that were in the Assault folder.
- A "texture" folder with all the textures
- Your "scripts" folder with your shader for the textures you choose.
- The "levelshots" folder.

Now run your map on UrT and apreciate your work =)

Now we can do the minimap

Your minimap is now in your UrT folder. Open it, go in "q3ut4" and then in "maps". You should find an image in .tga with the name of your map. You can open it with your favorite programm but if you don't know what to use, I suggest you Gimp. (there if you don't have it)

The first thing you need to know is that your map is reversed (180 degrees rotation). So first of all rotate your map of 180 degrees =)

Then add everything you want, but you need to have the place where the checkpoints are. You can also add your aname if you want to. Now rotate again your map of 180 degrees and add it in the "maps" folder of your pk3. Your map is ready!!!

Do not forget to post there your maps  If you have any question, post it there too =)

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.
:{Per}: WarLord
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Let's create an Assault map! =)

WarLord
Creative
Scrim Staff
Great! I will make sure to try it out when I get a PC during the summer. Well, thats a long way away...
Reply | Threaded
|  

Quick
WarLord wrote
Great! I will make sure to try it out when I get a PC during the summer. Well, thats a long way away...
Well then you should properly think about UrT HD mapping then. Though it'd require a very good pc.
:{Per}: WarLord
Reply | Threaded
|  

WarLord
Creative
Scrim Staff
Well then... I know how I might earn some possible money :)
:{Per}: !TopFox
Reply | Threaded
|  

!TopFox
Mapping Staff
Scrim Staff
UrT HD won't be ready before the end of 2015, beginning of 2016 =)

Btw I dunno which programm we will use to make maps for UrT HD, does anyone know?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Mr.Yeah!
UrT Server Admin
It will be UDK for the Unreal Engine 4!
It requires a monthly fee of roughly 20 USD but Github has a free bundle for students :) https://education.github.com/pack
:{Per}: !TopFox
Reply | Threaded
|  

!TopFox
Mapping Staff
Scrim Staff
Thanks Mr.Yeah =)

Btw the tuto is finished, if you have any questions do not hesitate to post it there =)
Reply | Threaded
|  

Quick
They'll make their own editor, if Epic doesn't release a free mapping editor. I already got UE4 and it's pretty cool. Mapping for HD will be best, if you're good at modelling programs. You make the map in Blender/3ds Max and then move it over to UE4. Hard work, but it'll result in a very beautiful map.

Thx for the tutorial. I think I understood everything, so I'll try, else I'll just contact you.