:{Per}: sh1omi
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  

New forum?

sh1omi
Technology Staff
This post was updated on .
We already got a new website and it looks alot better than our old website.
So why we wont upgrade our forum too?

Demo:  http://sniperjum.com/forum (There 2 themes now, you can change it by going down and select instand "Revolution" select "Default")
Ads: Free system so no need to pay for disable ads.
Shoutbox: Better shoutbox(free shoutbox so no ads and fully customized).
Forum structure: I dont think that it will take alot of time.
Theme/Style: For now I cant say exactly which theme we will use(fonts will be same, dark theme).

New forum?
Flickr      360Cities
Vimeo      Downloads
:{Per}: WarLord
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: New forum?

WarLord
Creative
Scrim Staff
I will only go if you show the post count still from the old forum and keep the same ranking of like 1500 posts is the ring and stuff. I find it  cool. BUt... we have everything archived here. Will we export all forum files from here to the new one?
Reply | Threaded
|  

WarLord
Creative
Scrim Staff
I think the accepted and rejected apps and confirmed bans are important.
:{Per}: Joke
Reply | Threaded
|  

Joke
Helper
Recruiter
In reply to this post by WarLord
That would be a mess to transfer everything...and starting from scratch is not better..I kinda like the forum as it is now, as it's always been, when LouK worked on it :D I don't know I'm very attached to it :)
Reply | Threaded
|  

WarLord
Creative
Scrim Staff
You said the word that I couldn't think of Joke! I am attached to this forum. I love it <3 
:{Per}: Vega
Reply | Threaded
|  

Vega
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by sh1omi
Good point War and instinctively i would say we keep the old forum for the same reason (stuff archived mainly).
But some points:
- we have many usefull topics here but really a lot of shit topics, a clean saving the main topics would be only a good thing
- design seems good and configurable
- we pay a lot to don't have fuckin ads on forum, we won't have this problem with your forum
- new forum would have more feature: calendar (scrim), a (FINALLY) good shoutbox and more...

My request to say F1 is that the design would be similar (fonts, color). About the contents i suppose a copy would be a manually work so you should copy at least the structure and main topics.

I have to say that the final decision is up to the head.
F1 for now

PS.  Before answer think that saying F2 with a short answer is not fair to the work sh1omi already did and time he spent and will spend for this work, think twice
Reply | Threaded
|  

WarLord
Creative
Scrim Staff
If the transferring is simple I can help during the summer. I dont mind doing that stuff. Sorry for my negative responses, sh1omi I do like the design. Right now it seems a bit messy but if we go there I hope it is in the same structure. Maybe have some cooler backgrounds. Like a carbon wall. Call of Duty or Urban terror photos with our logo on it. Some awesome sexy font that everyone will love. Maybe we should have a vote on fonts. Everyone gives their ideas on fonts and vote on them!
Reply | Threaded
|  

Vega
About fonts and color we should keep the ones of the website, for consistency and to help visitors to understand they are linked

But i want to know Louk opinion about ;)
:{Per}: Genesis
Reply | Threaded
|  

Genesis
I think it looks nice and I dont care about the transfer stuff and stats and whatever else there is ^^
"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow."
- Helen Keller
Reply | Threaded
|  

sh1omi
Technology Staff
@joke: No one really need all the things that we have on the forum(Only the important stuff we can copy)
@vega "the work sh1omi already did" I dont want to take the credits for the forum system or the design that not mine lol
@warlord I can edit the post count, but u really need it? lol http://sniperjum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3
Flickr      360Cities
Vimeo      Downloads
:{Per}: R3V1S0R
Reply | Threaded
|  

R3V1S0R
Anti-Cheat Staff
well, i really like our forum.
Players know where to find us. and they contact us. When everything changes it wont be the same.
I think the activity would go down.
btw, why do you want to change? whats wrong with our current forum? i like it.
:{Per}: LouK
Reply | Threaded
|  

LouK
In reply to this post by Vega
It ain't a bad idea, I already thought about this many times. Here are my thoughts:

1. We (at least Vego & me) have enough knowledge to create a custom forum site, it would be a really hard work but it can be done.
2. Having our own forum system would be just awesome, we could link everything together (forums, admin panel, website and even xlrstats) and create a monster :D
3. About the posts migration, I'm currently (in my work) doing a php script to migrate a shop's database (based in the Magento's CMS, it has 349 tables lolz) to a new custom db. Making a migration (Nabble uses sql backup files) shouldn't be very difficult (well, we just have to study nabble's backup).
4. About sh1's forum system, I don't agree, moving our current forum to a new external system just makes no sense cept for the ads stuff.

I would vote to make our own system but, obviously, that system could take us a lot of time, I don't really mind to start it today anyway :D. What do you think Vega? would you join me in this mad trip? :)
Reply | Threaded
|  

sh1omi
Technology Staff
@louk you could just use forum system that already exist and customize how u want(http://docs.mybb.com/).
your trip is too crazy lol
Flickr      360Cities
Vimeo      Downloads
:{Per}: LouK
Reply | Threaded
|  

LouK
Sh1omi, the point is to create an actually useful tool, plus I hate CMSs :)

R3v also sent me a mail to tell me that he's in if we need his help to make the system. With you, r3v, vega and me, we can make a team to develop this.
Reply | Threaded
|  

WarLord
Creative
Scrim Staff
Count me in if you need design ideas. I can be very creative and also a perfectionist. Any mistakes I will spot and tell you =3 I agree with LouK that if this forum is made it will be a monster. I think once it is made everyone will love it. Lets aim to have the best clan forum and website!!!!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|  

sh1omi
Technology Staff
In reply to this post by LouK
If you decide to make our forum system so I will help in what I can but I still think that is crazy
Flickr      360Cities
Vimeo      Downloads
:{Per}: !TopFox
Reply | Threaded
|  

!TopFox
Mapping Staff
Scrim Staff
Having our own home-made forums would rock! F1to this =)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.
:{Per}: Genesis
Reply | Threaded
|  

Genesis
In reply to this post by LouK
Hahah you guys are crazy xD
Tell me if you need any help, I'd be glad to work with you
"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow."
- Helen Keller
Reply | Threaded
|  

Vega
In reply to this post by R3V1S0R
R3V1S0R wrote
well, i really like our forum.
Players know where to find us. and they contact us. When everything changes it wont be the same.
I think the activity would go down.
btw, why do you want to change? whats wrong with our current forum? i like it.
I have to read all below your post but i can say that i can easily edit DNS and redirect new forum to forum.sniperjum.com
:{Per}: RexXxie
Reply | Threaded
|  

RexXxie
In reply to this post by Vega
Sooooo,
I voted for I don't really care, which actually is true, because we have a perfect website, and as said if it is about the money I can easily donate, because nobody wants any stupid ads on the web, I think that that's clearly.
BUT IF we change the web, then -as warlord said- we should keep the ranks and the posts and every information. So I more tend to keeping this forum, because it means something for me to have the stars and stuff :P  (I think i'm not the only one)
So changing the forum would be dumb if we don't keep everything as this in my opinion even tho I have to say the other forum looks good. I still like this one better *_* (Tho you have done a great work sh1).